Online marketing is much beyond just advertising of products or services online. It brings together a lot of different people under the same roof at any given point of time like search engine optimization specialists, link building executives, PPC professionals, SEO writers and more. Thus, the director has a huge responsibility to handle and fulfill. Their primary responsibility is to coordinate the tasks among all departments. The director of online marketing is also responsible for feedback, standards of quality, and promotion of overall sales traffic.
The director is also responsible for bringing in more business for the company. He has to manage the web marketing requirements and maintain a timely update it in a manner so as to attract customers, provide valuable information and guarantee repeat sales. Repeat sales are the basis of survival in a competitive market, and being able to do so is no small feat. Achievement of repeat sales can be done by approaching the customers directly or sending out lucrative online offers. The online marketing director provides the customer with the same level of satisfaction and service, or even more so, that was associated with their first sale to maintain the relationship.
The post of the director is associated with a lot of experience and expertise. While e-commerce marketing requires both of these, it is not like regular marketing jobs as one has to make changes more frequently to keep the customers interested in the offers. This job requires one to think innovatively and apply managerial rules at the same time. The job qualifications are as follows:
- Good communication skills are essential to explain ideas to the team and convince them of their feasibility
- Ability to think and conceptualize the approach planned
- Extensive knowledge of the medium and processes applicable for carrying out campaigns and promotions
- Good business decision making
- Interest and knowledge in available market movements and patterns and staying updated about latest trends
- Ability to manage people and deliver ideas from the drawing board to customers within specified time and budget
- Having a vast knowledge of the consumer market helps in achieving goals faster
In house training is provided by many business houses for introducing trainees to the organization. Alongside that, there are also on the job trainings performed. Prior experience in online marketing and media at any other level also helps.
The director has a lot up their sleeve:
- Serve as the head and final authority in decision making for online marketing of products and services
- Informing the partners about the plan of action and approach strategy
- Introducing new ideas and improvising them to attract more customers
- Exploring new avenues and methods of approach
- Analyzing data and feedback for making suitable changes in work related procedures
- Studying the market trends and competitiveness
- Managing the different departments and ensuring achievement of goals
- Maximizing profit by achieving the sales targets
Career Prospects and Salaries
The starting salaries for online marketing directors are around $30,000 and $82,000 with excellent prospects. Promotions can be envisaged within 3 years of joining and pertinent qualifications can actually take you to high positions in the senior management.
Today online marketing is done for all types of websites, products and services. Hence with the growing need of internet marketing services, all types of online marketing professionals are in demand. There are numerous internet marketing companies looking for experienced people who can execute the role of director of online marketing. One with years of experience can also start ones own company.