Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout-you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earth's most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art and impacts the daily lives of our customers.
As an industrial designer for Amazon Go, you will be responsible for the industrial design, prototyping, and development of physical objects, fixtures, and components for our Just Walk Out Technology store. You will be part of a lean, agile team that creates and executes designs that span a variety of physical and digital modes to create experiences that are new to the world.
The ideal candidate will:
• Quickly iterate on multiple interactive physical (non-digital) design solutions and work through details.
• Develop high level and/or detailed storyboards, mockups, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.
• Take a hands-on approach and roll up your sleeves to shepherd an idea from conception through production to successful implementation.
• Take designs from the sketch phase to concept modeling in the appropriate software, and through to finished customer-facing execution.
• Work with visual, brand, environmental, and UX designers to create a unified vision for the initiative.
• Participate in cross-functional strategy, timing, and process discussions.
• Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all design and technology problems are resolved thoroughly.
• Work with research and testing teams to integrate new findings into final designs.
• Actively manage and collaborate with suppliers to achieve the best possible product for our customers in terms of design integrity, quality, cost, and engineering.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's or Master's degree in Industrial Design or related field with 5 years of experience-or a combination of relevant advanced and production design.
• Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with suppliers in the development of product and fixture designs.
• Technical knowledge and working experience related to the design development process, including ideation, prototyping, testing, manufacturing, and assembly processes.
• Experience collaborating with and managing prototyping and fabrication vendors.
• Experience working with or interpreting technical drawings and/or drafting.
• Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
• Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Strong conceptual design skills.
• Experience inventing, building, or launching physical products, components, and/or retail fixtures.
• Experience and knowhow related to design for manufacturability and design scalability.